11.20.2015

Nothing Says Thanksgiving Like Having to Move Apartments

I opened the door to my apartment Monday afternoon to a couple of inches of water in the kitchen and living room, sloshing around like it had nothing better to do.  Our kitchen sink pipe burst and had been gushing water into our apartment and into the apartments below us for a couple hours.  At first, maintenance said they would just need to dry the floors out.

I opened the front door again on Thursday after coming home from classes to find all our flooring, kitchen, and hallway gutted out and gone.  15 minutes later and a phone call, we had to find somewhere else to live.


I'm still trying to think of what I really learned from this...the couple of things that come to mind are (a) housing contracts are actually important, (b) find good housing management because in situations like these, they are the worst to deal with, and (c) if you have soaking wet carpet, putting a fan on it isn't really effective.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Sorry to hear about it! I hope everything worked out. The times like these have always been good life lessons for me, and in the future you will probably be able to help somebody with a similar circumstance! Blessing in disguise?

Unknown said...

That's horrid. Way to be an optimist though, Alan. Good luck Sarah I hope your new living situation is better in some unexpected way

Unknown said...

That looks miserable! At least it wasn't during finals I suppose. I hope you can figure things out soon. Sorry you had to deal with such a mess though!