11.14.2015

Figuring Out Directions in Manhattan

This weekend I spent the weekend and found myself with some extra time Friday morning to explore.  I wanted to go down to the Met, but realized that I knew almost nothing about how New York streets/avenues work.  But (thank you Google maps) I was able to look the Met up and figure out what streets I needed to take in order to get there.

Then my phone died and I found myself on my own trying to navigate through Central Park and onto 5th ave.  I realized that each block running East/West was numbered, increasing 1 at a time, and each avenue running North/South also increase by 1 at a time.  I don't know how I didn't realize this before, but I was able to get to where I needed to go by using the signs!

I know that the lesson seems pretty obvious, but I've always been pretty bad at directions, and being able to figure out the NY system was pretty cool.  It gives me more confidence in figuring out directions in Provo!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Were you in NYC this weekend? That's where I'm from! I think it's kind of funny that you got a little lost because NYC is one of the few places where the streets actually make sense to me! Everything is numbered so you know exactly how many you have to walk. Avenues run north to south, while streets run east to west. Once you're use to it it's simple!