10.29.2015

I Might be Persuaded to Become the Early Bird

Ever since high school, I've loved sleeping late.  Nothing is better than waking up Saturday morning with no alarm to snooze or classes to go to.  Growing up, I was always nagged by my mom about the benefits of waking up early, that "the early bird gets the worm."  I always followed with a "whatever, Mom."


But, as always, she might have actually been right.  I woke up early (okay, like 7am) this week because I had conferences that started early and lots of homework to do.  And I learned how much more productive I can be earlier in the morning.  By 10am this week I was amazed by how many to-do's I had already been able to cross off and how accomplished I felt.

I don't know if this is a long-term thing I can keep up.  It's been really great to get so much done, but at the same time by napping time has increased a little and I haven't time for breakfast.  And I love breakfast.  I'm thinking I can take a day or two per week and wake up earlier and use the extra time really productively.  I've also been thinking about using that time to work out more?  But also not sure I have enough energy for the mornings to work out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love waking up early. It seems that the typical college lifestyle is to go to bed super late and get up late as well. I've actually started to get up later and go to bed later, because most of the fun social things to do start really late, which is great to participate in, but I do miss getting up at the break of dawn to feed the animals and go running with the cold morning air. It is so peaceful in the morning, and that is the only time I feel that I can actually think, and I am way more productive. Good luck with your new endeavors, it will be worth getting up!

Amberly said...

Go you! I know I really need to work on getting up earlier each day and going to bed later. When I always sleep in I always hear my mom in my head urging me to wake up and get ready for the day. I agree that when you are up earlier you get a lot more done. Keep up the great work!